Sunday, November 6, 2011

Metaphors be with you!!!

Star Wars Jedi
(Metaphors be with you = May-the-force be with you)

The metaphor is one of the most common literary devices used in literature and our culture.  We learn about them at a young age.  A metaphor is the comparison of two things without using the word like or as (that would make it a simile).  So why are metaphors so often misconstrued in our culture today?  Was is sarcasm so often misunderstood?  I do not think it is because students do not know what a metaphor is or can't recognize sarcasm.  I think it is more because the two have become such a regular part of American vernacular in today's culture.  Some common examples of metaphors that we may not even realize we use include someone having a bubbly personality or saying that college is a prison.  We compare two things in order to draw connections.  Another example would be "A mighty fortress is our God."  God is something that people have a difficult time wrapping their head around but we know the strength of a mighty fort.  I found a quote by Aristotle that stated "the greatest thing by far is to have command of metaphor.  This alone cannot be imparted by another; it is the mark of genius, for to make good metaphors implies an eye for resemblances."  I believe in order to successfully use language in today's culture metaphors are a must.  We hear them used by politicians, newscasters, sports analysts, comedians and many other people we listen to.  They have become common in our culture and there are a litany of examples that we fail to even recognize because they are used so often.

2 comments:

  1. David,

    As John Mayer was helping to distract me from actual work, I decided to keep my "promise" to you to comment on your blog (despite the fact that your name has somehow been removed from my list). *cough*

    I realize that you are not a huge fan of this class, but honestly, I think that you are doing well with your posts. Despite a few grammatical errors - misspellings, mainly - I found this post interesting. I think that my favorite part was when you referenced what I consider one of the greatest traditional hymns in the Christian faith - "A Mighty Fortress is Our God." It is not only a great example of a metaphor, but of a beautiful song as well!

    I agree that metaphorical language is such a vital component of modern speech - which could cause many individuals to have difficulty in recognizing it. However, I do not think that it excuses ignorance. In my opinion, while many people occasionally overlook an exhausted metaphor, a majority of people are not given sufficient instruction in - what I consider - basic recognition techniques that can be used to detect grammatical structures (such as sarcasm, metaphors, personification, and similes).
    Therefore causing an individual to be unable to recognize these attributes in written works. Yes, someone might realize when a friend is being sarcastic, or when a very obvious comparison is made ( "her face was as red as a rose" ); but I believe these are either due to overt blatancy or extreme simplicity.

    Now, after my rather lengthy post (with the duel motive of making you actually check your blog), I will leave you with one of my favorite metaphors. I find it as a source of comfort when I feel like I "need" something of this world. I hope it comforts you as well!

    - John 6:35 -

    "Then Jesus declared, 'I am the bread of life. He who comes to me will never go hungry, and he who believes in me will never be thirsty'."

    Have a great weekend, hope to see you in the lab!

    Rebekah Lloyd

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi David!!

    I agree with teaching the kids metaphors at a young age. Many of our fellow college classmates missed the metaphor and the sarcasm assignment Dr. Strange gave us. If we introduce them to this at a young age they will not have this problem when they get older. Great blog I really enjoyed it!!!!!

    ReplyDelete